Do a ‘copy’ activity with me using other senses as well as hearing
Soundabout Life: Level 3 | Card: 27 | Category: Interactive
Copying visually or using touch may help me understand imitation in sound.
- Copy me using your voice, making sure that I can see and maybe feel what you are doing
- Make a sound with your voice for me to copy, and exaggerate the movements of your lips, teeth and tongue, so I can see what is happening, or, if I am visually impaired, put your hands on my mouth so you can feel what is happening
- The copy game with instruments and other soundmakers can be particularly effective when I’m lying on a resonance board, so I can feel the vibrations that we are both making as well as hear the sounds
- Visually stimulating instruments like a cymbal that shimmers in the light may be a good way of motivating me to copy you
- I may start by copying the movements you make,and only then realise I am copying your sounds